Re: ldconfig warnings

> Yes, it is discussed in the Debian Packaging Manual, section 12.
> See:
>   /usr/doc/dpkg/packaging.html/ch-sharedlibs.html
>
> You should just go ahead and file bugs against packages which don't
> include the .so link as part of the package.

If I understand this correctly, there is no need to use ldconfig
in the postinst script, correct?

ie. A quick survey of the packages on my system:

$ grep 'ldconfig' /var/lib/dpkg/info/*|wc -l
    112

And I've only got around 400 packages installed (and not too many
libraries) - so I think we've got a serious problem.  We ought
not to release 2.0 in this state.

The shared library thing has always confused me a bit because
I tend to pick these things up by example - but if everybody's
doing it wrong...

Should I file bug reports?  What severity?

Or am I unduly alarmed?

Cheers,

 - Jim