Re: potential mayhem with trial libc6 package and kernel-headers

Hi,
>>"Rob" == Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

Rob> I recently installed the new libc6 experiental pacakges which
Rob> also wants you to install kernel-headers.  The problem is that
Rob> kernel-headers thinks it "owns" /usr/src/linux.  For users using
Rob> the kernel-package (or whatvever) to build their own kernels,
Rob> this may be a problem.  It was at least surprising.

	All the products of kernel-package (and that includes
 kernel-source-xxx and kernel-headers-xxx) have always behaved as if
 they own /usr/src/linux ;-(. So this ain't new behaviour; things have
 always behaved that way. Just as /usr/local is not under vendor
 control, /usr/src/should be assumed to be, right?

	I genrally unpack into /usr/src/local and mv things one level
 up, personally.

Rob> In my case, I didn't even notice that kernel-headers added the
Rob> /usr/src/linux link, and since I normally don't ever have a
Rob> /usr/src/linux on my machine, I can just assume that it's safe to
Rob> untar a new kernel in /usr/src and then "mv linux
Rob> linux-<version>" [1].  However, when the kernel-headers package
Rob> is installed, this means I'm unpacking my new kernel source into
Rob> the kernel-header package's directory -- not good.

	Hmm, right.

Rob> Now I'm happy to just change my behavior, and unpack the kernels
Rob> I download somewhere else, but I think you're going to see some
Rob> mayhem when this pair of packages is released and other people
Rob> doing something similar suddenly have to treat /usr/src/linux as
Rob> read only without being warned.

	What do you sugggest, modulo maintaining backward
 compatibility to people who have old kernel-source packages
 installed?

	manoj
--
 "No man steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river,
 and he's not the same man." Heraclitus