Re: potential mayhem with trial libc6 package and kernel-headers

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

> 	I genrally unpack into /usr/src/local and mv things one level
>  up, personally.

That seems reasonable.  I guess I had just sort of always treated
/usr/src/ as if it was local, even though I probably shouldn't have.

> Rob> Now I'm happy to just change my behavior, and unpack the kernels
> Rob> I download somewhere else, but I think you're going to see some
> Rob> mayhem when this pair of packages is released and other people
> Rob> doing something similar suddenly have to treat /usr/src/linux as
> Rob> read only without being warned.
>
> 	What do you sugggest, modulo maintaining backward
>  compatibility to people who have old kernel-source packages
>  installed?

I don't really have a good suggestion, but I think that this should
be somehow *widely* advertised with the new libc6 arrangement.  I
don't know if I'd go so far as an actual pause in the postinst, but
this could be a fairly serious problem.

People who weren't using kernel-headers before (because they never
needed it), may be in for a shock.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>