Re: dselect features request

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997 hollen@vigra.com wrote:

> While I had been a devoted Slackware fan, trying Debian convinced me
> that it is far superior a distribution.  However, in the process of
> installing Debian 1.3.1 at least 15 times (several computers and
> several different plans on how to install them all) it occurred to me
> that two features in `dselect` would be WONDERFUL!!!
>
> 1)  Once all packages are selected, be able to dump the selections to
>     a file that could be later read in for subsequent identical
>     installations.

dpkg --get-selections
dpkg --set-selections

> 2)  Once all packages are selected, don't skip packages that are
>     deselected, just ignore them.  Dselect for ftp install works this
>     way, why can't the disk based dselect as well?  It looks like much
>     time is spent "skipping" packages that do not need to be
>     installed.

Unfortunatly, that is because of the way dselect runs dpkg (dpkg -iGROBE),
which then goes through the directorys and checks every package.  I've
solved the problem by mounting my CD info ftpable space and using
dpkg-ftp.  The package dpkg-mountable will also provide a method that
doesn't do this.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/