potential mayhem with trial libc6 package and kernel-headers

I recently installed the new libc6 experiental pacakges which also
wants you to install kernel-headers.  The problem is that
kernel-headers thinks it "owns" /usr/src/linux.  For users using the
kernel-package (or whatvever) to build their own kernels, this may be
a problem.  It was at least surprising.

In my case, I didn't even notice that kernel-headers added the
/usr/src/linux link, and since I normally don't ever have a
/usr/src/linux on my machine, I can just assume that it's safe to
untar a new kernel in /usr/src and then "mv linux linux-<version>"
[1].  However, when the kernel-headers package is installed, this
means I'm unpacking my new kernel source into the kernel-header
package's directory -- not good.

Now I'm happy to just change my behavior, and unpack the kernels I
download somewhere else, but I think you're going to see some mayhem
when this pair of packages is released and other people doing
something similar suddenly have to treat /usr/src/linux as read only
without being warned.

[1] Why Linus has linux-<version>.tar.gz unpack linux rather than
linux-<version> has never made much sense to me.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>