Re: dselect features request

hollen@vigra.com writes:

>While I had been a devoted Slackware fan, trying Debian convinced me
>that it is far superior a distribution.  However, in the process of
>installing Debian 1.3.1 at least 15 times (several computers and
>several different plans on how to install them all) it occurred to me
>that two features in `dselect` would be WONDERFUL!!!
>
>1)  Once all packages are selected, be able to dump the selections to
>    a file that could be later read in for subsequent identical
>    installations.

It would be nice to do this from dselect, but for the moment you can
quit dselect, and use:

	dpkg --get-selections

to get the list of selected packages, and

	dpkg --set-selections to set them.

dpkg --help mentions these two.

I've not actually used these though.

dpkg and dselect could do with better man pages, I agree.

There is a project "Deity" to produce a dselect replacement, but I'm
not sure how near to release they are.

Chris