Re: Changelog policy being ignored

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Hamish Moffatt:
> > Is the regular maintainer required to apply the diff? In doing
> > some non-maintainer upgrades just for libc6 reasons, I have
> > fixed some bugs where these are readily fixed. If the non-maintainer
> > work does not have to be used, there is every risk of bugs
> > being closed which are then unfixed with the next maintainer
> > release.
>
> The normal maintainer can of course choose not to apply the diff.
> However, we should say that:
>
>  * The person making the non-maintainer release should provide a
> description of all the separate bugs that they fix.
>
>  * The normal maintainer should do at least one of
>    - apply the diff
>    - read the diff and decide on each part of it themselves
>    - read the description of the patches and ensure that they fix
>      each problem that was fixed in the non-maintainer release.
>
> Perhaps this should be incorporated into our policy ?

I'll include your request in the next policy weekly posting.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian has a logo!    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Check out the logo     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/