Getting shlibs.local to work with dpkg-shlibdeps

I'm trying to split up the GIMP package, so that other packages that
use libgimp et al don't have to depend on the humungous gimp package.

Since the gimp source tree makes three shared libraries -- libgimp,
libgimpui, and libgck, I made a debian/shlibs.local file containing
the lines:

libgimp 1 libgimp1
libgimpui 1 libgimp1
libgck 0 libgimp1

yet dpkg-shlibdeps on binaries linked with these libraries doesn't
make debian/substvars contain libgimp1.

What am I doing wrong?

--
Brought to you by the letters U and Y and the number 15.
"Egad! A base tone denotes a bad age." -- TMBG