Re: Taking over production of emacs20 package.

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

> 	Also consider the fact that all maintainers may not have
>  enough resources to have all possible flavours of Emacsen on their
>  machines (Xemacs19, Xemacs20, emacs19, emacs20, emacs20-no-mule,
>  Xemacs-no-mule, ...), and keep track of which versions were elc
>  compatible anyway.

Read my mind.  I actually had this objection in my previous mail, but
took it out since it seemed a littly weaker and I wanted to stick with
one point at a time.

> 	On the other hand, some packages (Quassia gnus and VM are examples)
>  that do funny things in the Makefile in order to compile the el
>  files; it is not just a matter of
>  # $(EMACS) -batch -f batch-byte-compile *.el

Yeah, my idea certainly won't work for every elisp package, but it
would hopefully work for some.

> 	Alternately, each maintainer can maintain a package for one
>  flavour of Emacs ;-(, and have co-maintainers for ther
>  flavours.

I thought of that too, but that's certainly a little ugly.  In the
end, though, it may be necessary.  As mentioned above, some packages
may just fit the compile at install mold.

> ps. Oh, I, too, thought of making public my private quassia gnus
>  package, but it is way too volatile, I think, for general
>  distribution.

I'd put it in experimental.

> It is not 10M, BTW, just 5675K.

I was talking about the case where you had to have all the .elc files
for all the byte-incompatible emacsen within one debian package.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>