Re: What warrants a non-maintainer release number?

Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@viper.law.miami.edu> writes:

> This is part of an email exchange Sven and I had.  Simply put, I put
> in a new alpha binary of dpkg-1.4.0.19 that represented nothing but
> a recompile to pick up new libg++, ncurses, etc.  Sven suggested
> that this warranted a non-maintainer-release number, whereas I had
> gotten the idea that non-maintainer-releases suggested code changes.

I hope Guy will reject that.  If the binary changes, the version
number should change.  Things break if you don't increase the version
number (e.g. automatic upgrade and bug reporting) and you don't have
to a source release to do a non-maintainer release, just add a new
entry to the changelog before you recompile.

What advantage do you see in *not* changing the version number?

--
James