Re: What warrants a non-maintainer release number?

Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@viper.law.miami.edu> writes:

> This is part of an email exchange Sven and I had.  Simply put, I put
> in a new alpha binary of dpkg-1.4.0.19 that represented nothing but a
> recompile to pick up new libg++, ncurses, etc.  Sven suggested that
> this warranted a non-maintainer-release number, whereas I had gotten
> the idea that non-maintainer-releases suggested code changes.

I think if you browse the changlogs of various package, you'll see a
number with non-maintainer releases with entries like:

  * recompiled for libc6.

So I'd say the practice, at least, is that code changes are not a
necessary criteria.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>