Re: ppp's ip-{up,down} and possible utilization of 'run-parts'

Yann Dirson <ydirson@a2points.com> writes:

> Adam P. Harris writes:
>  > I think that /etc/ppp/ip-up and /etc/ppp/ip-down should use
>  > 'run-parts' against, say, the directories /etc/ppp/ip-{up,down}.d/.
>  >
>  > This would allow, for instance, MTA packages to ship little scripts to
>  > flush the mail queue when the link comes up, pop-deamons to start up,
>
> I had the idea of adding such actions (flush mailqueue, fetch mail,
> etc.) to my ip-up, but I didn't do that.
>
> This is because some of these actions (eg. mail fetching) may be quite
> long to complete, and may act badly if interrupted by a 'poff'
> (eg. fetched messages from the interrupted session not erased from my
> POP account - guess it's a security feature in fetchmail).
>
> The solution I used was to manually ask to fetch my mail.  Another
> would be to have a (hopefully generic) mean of forcing the line to
> stay up while such an action is taking place. But I'm not sure it
> would be a good solution either, since fetching 200 mails/day from the
> debian lists takes some time, and then the user would be compelled to
> want till fetch is done.
>
> In other words:
>
> * we can't decide for the sysadmin what actions will take place on
>   boot.
>
> * if we build such a system, a standard way of disabling parts of
>   these directories (maybe like what /etc/init.d/rc allows with 'S' and
>   'K' names ?)

Yes.  Definitely ensure that it is easy to disable (and of course
re-enable) these automatic scripts, and ship everything _off_ by default.
IMO nothing is more annoying than these kind of surprises.  I want to
know what is being started when I dial into my ISP.

For example, I have configured my ip-up script to start fetchmail (in
daemon mode) and grab articles for my local news spool unless the file
/etc/no_mail exists.  Therefore, if I need to quickly dial in, say to
fetch a file, I create this file before starting pppd so that I can
hang up as soon as I am done without waiting for POP and NNTP transfers
to finish.

Brian