Re: Plan to package xscavenger

On Mon, Dec 15, 1997 at 06:46:20PM +0000, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 1997 at 12:20:10AM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > > >
> > > AFAIK, we already have a xscavenger package, which is maintained by Adrian
> > > Bridgett <adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com> .
> >
> > This is fun, I first installed a local version of my package, which is
> > version 1.3.1-2 by now, because I cleaned the sources. It gives only 5
> > warnings compiled with -Wall, the orig source gave me a few hundred.
>
> I didn't really watch the compile when I made the package, but it seemed
> like it went okay - I havn't noticed any problems. I'm using all the latest
> stuff I think.

No real problems, just warnings, most because of missing prototypes.

> > Adrian: Please take a look at my homepage:
> > http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Marcus.Brinkmann/scavenger.html
> >
> > You can find version 1.3.1 there, which will soon become the new upstream
> > version, I discuss the last things with the author (did you ever mail him?
> > He didn't know that there exist a debina packet of scavenger).
> >
> > Seems that I am a few days to late, I will look for another task...
>
> I just packaged it - since you seem keen on fixing/upgrading it etc, it
> would make sense for you to maintain it. I don't really have the time or
> inclination to do any actual coding (I hate C :-))

I don't want to steal you a package, but if you offer it, I will take it
over. It would be a good starting point, because it is so easy and I can
learn a lot about packaging and programming.

Another thing that bothers me is the copyright. Are there good reasons to
place it in non-free? I think there is, because it uses the sound code from
koules, which uses the sound code from xgalaga, which is shareware/a mix of
different files. I will probably resolve this soon.

Thank you,
Marcus

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."                         Debian GNU/Linux
Marcus Brinkmann                                      http://www.debian.org