Re: news gateways

On 14 Dec 1997 bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> From: Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de>
> > Does this mean we shouldn't include the list addresses (debian-devel@...)
> > in our web pages? If so, I guess I have to fix some pages...
>
> I don't have a problem with the list addresses being in the WWW pages.
>
> We should be cognizant that people do troll for mailto: URLs and spam them.
> The major problem is that the WWW list archives get into search engines,
> and then clueless people search for keywords and fire off questions to
> anyone knowledgable that they find. [...]

The problem may be simpler than this.  Look at the following, from
www.debian.org/contact.html (which is linked to from the bottom of every
page):

	We have a very active user mailing list where Debian users and
	developers can answer your questions. You should subscribe to the
	mailing list before sending email to it. Subscribe by sending email
	to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with the word `Subscribe' in
	the message BODY. You can also use the form at
	http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/subscribe.html. Once you're
	subscribed, just send your question to debian-user@lists.debian.org.

	If you would like to contact Debian developers, send email to
	debian-devel@lists.debian.org.

Notice that:

	- the first paragraph about debian-user looks pretty complicated.
	  As a new user, I would think twice about subscribing myself to a
	  mailing list if I just had one question.

	- the second paragraph about debian-devel seems to be just what I
	  need:  "If you would like to contact Debian developers."  They
	  seem to be just the people to ask about my problem!
	  (It doesn't even request that people subscribe first.)

Perhaps a minor rephrasing would help.  I'm not saying to take the link
away, just clarify what it's for.

Have fun,

Avery