Re: news gateways

On Sun, Dec 14 1997 1:09 GMT bruce@va.debian.org writes:
> We should be cognizant that people do troll for mailto: URLs and spam them.
                                                                   ^^^^
This is the real problem IMO with the problem below.

> The major problem is that the WWW list archives get into search engines,
> and then clueless people search for keywords and fire off questions to
> anyone knowledgable that they find.
Or much worse: spam the posters with the addresses.
I'm getting lately a constant share of UCEs (mostly from the US and Hong Kong),
who got their addresses probably from Debian-Lists or the Bug-System.
What do the other people do against it? It is annoying, since spam consumes
bandwidth and costs me money to download.  The upstream ISPs mostly seem
unwilling/unable/incompetent to do anything.
(if this discussion is inappropriate on debian-devel, move it debian-private)

David