Re: `gv-2.5.8': Will someone please release a bo version?

    Richard> Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
    >> I've just uploaded `gv_3.5.8-1'.  When I installed it, I was
    >> told by `dpkg' that this is a downgrade, since the previous
    >> version was incorrectly numbered (by me) as "-.1" rather than
    >> "-0.1".  I hope this doesn't cause too much trouble.  Will this
    >> copy replace the one in `hamm', please?

    Richard> That won't work, since many people will already have
    Richard> upgraded to the 3.5.8-.1 version, and your 3.5.8-1
    Richard> version will still look like a downgrade on their
    Richard> systems.  I think you'll have to do something to the
    Richard> upstream version number to fix this.  Hm.  Are there any
    Richard> new releases of gv coming up? ;-)

 Not as far as I know.  Should I just increment the Debian version
 number to 2 then?  Will that work?

    >> Also, I've renamed the pixmap `mini.gv.xpm' to `mini-gv.xpm',
    >> which causes an overlap with `fvwm-common'.  It is the
    >> identical pixmap file.  This should be ok, shouldn't it?

    Richard> Actually it will be a problem.  From the Packaging
    Richard> manual, 8.5.1:
        [...]
    Richard> You'll need to work this out with the fvwm-common
    Richard> maintainer.  One way to fix it is to add a Replaces:
    Richard> fvwm-common to the control file for gv, but that's a bit
    Richard> drastic.  It's my guess that fvwm-common doesn't need the
    Richard> pixmap if gv provides it.

 Ok, I'll drop a note to Austin Donnelly <and1000@debian.org>.  The
 reason I changed the name is because the pixmap was in fvwm-common.
 No sense in installing two copies of the same pixmap with different
 names.

    Richard> My suggestion at this point is to just take the package
    Richard> if you like it, and mail him
    Richard> (Helmut.Geyer@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de) to explain the
    Richard> situation.  I'm sure he'll let you know if he wants it
    Richard> back.

 That's what I'll do then.