Re: `gv-2.5.8': Will someone please release a bo version?

Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>  I've just uploaded `gv_3.5.8-1'.  When I installed it, I was told by
>  `dpkg' that this is a downgrade, since the previous version was
>  incorrectly numbered (by me) as "-.1" rather than "-0.1".  I hope
>  this doesn't cause too much trouble.  Will this copy replace the one
>  in `hamm', please?

That won't work, since many people will already have upgraded to the
3.5.8-.1 version, and your 3.5.8-1 version will still look like a
downgrade on their systems.  I think you'll have to do something to
the upstream version number to fix this.  Hm.  Are there any new
releases of gv coming up? ;-)

>  Also, I've renamed the pixmap `mini.gv.xpm' to `mini-gv.xpm', which
>  causes an overlap with `fvwm-common'.  It is the identical pixmap
>  file.  This should be ok, shouldn't it?

Actually it will be a problem.  From the Packaging manual, 8.5.1:

  Firstly, as mentioned before, it is usually an error for a package to
  contains files which are on the system in another package, though
  currently the --force-overwrite flag is enabled by default,
  downgrading the error to a warning.

You'll need to work this out with the fvwm-common maintainer.  One way
to fix it is to add a Replaces: fvwm-common to the control file for
gv, but that's a bit drastic.  It's my guess that fvwm-common doesn't
need the pixmap if gv provides it.

>  The last release I made was a non-maintainer release.  I'm now listed
>  as the maintainer of the `gv' package.  That's why I'm clearing out
>  the existing bugs.  I can serve as `gv' maintainer, no problem, but I
>  want to find out if someone else `owns' the package first.  I don't
>  wish to be a usurper.  In any case, the work is done.

The previous maintainer (in the Packages file on my 1.3.1 cd) is
Helmut Geyer.  I haven't heard anything from him in months.  You have
been listed as maintainer of gv since the beginning of October, when
you made some mistakes with the non-maintainer release.  (Probably you
changed the Maintainer field in the control file, rather than the
entry in the changelog).

My suggestion at this point is to just take the package if you like
it, and mail him (Helmut.Geyer@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de) to explain the
situation.  I'm sure he'll let you know if he wants it back.

Richard Braakman