Re: Boot Linux from GRUB? (Was: Boot HURD with lilo?)

On Thu, Nov 20, 1997 at 02:19:28AM -0500, Steve Dunham wrote:
> Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> writes:
>
> > Steve Dunham <dunham@cps.msu.edu> writes:
> > > I'm also willing to do the package...  (I'm actually using the thing
> > > on one of my Debian systems - which can't boot bzimages without it.)
>
> > Could we eliminate the Tecra kernel if we used grub as our standard
> > bootloader?  The way I understand it--please correct me if I'm
> > wrong--the main problem is that LILO won't correctly boot bzImages on
> > these machines.  If grub can, then we would only need one kernel
> > image.  IMHO, this would be a Good Thing.
>
> I believe this to be true.  I previously required a Tecra kernel on my
> Dell XPi, but GRUB can boot bzImages on it.

If Tecra works okay with zImage, why do we need to use bzImage anyway?
Is it for space reasons? Since we use modules for everything anyway
the kernel should not be big enough to require bzImage.

hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.