Re: Boot Linux from GRUB? (Was: Boot HURD with lilo?)

Tigger --Bitop aka Shift Left <tigger@bitburn.org> writes:

> It doesn't appear to be able to compile. But the tar I got from uruk.org
> contains pre-assembled binaries that appear to work. At least from floppy.
> I can't seem to make it boot off my hard drive yet. <sigh>
> Glad I knew where my recuse disk was.

You should be able to get my package to compile. For your hard drive
you can try:

  grubinst /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2

You should also make a file /boot/grub/menu.lst, which is similar to:

title=Linux 2.1.65
root=(hd0,3)
kernel=/boot/vmlinuz-2.1.65 root=/dev/hda4

title=Windows
root=(hd0,0)
chainloader=(hd0,0)+1

Where (hd0,3) is your Linux parition in GRUB notation and /dev/hda4 is
the parition in Linux notation.  (All these commands can be typed
interactively, with tab completion, at boot time.)

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu