Re: Boot Linux from GRUB? (Was: Boot HURD with lilo?)

Igor Grobman <igor@digicron.com> writes:

> On %M %N, Tigger --Bitop aka Shift Left wrote

> > On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> > > Someone please package the darned thing.

> > I'll take a whack at it if no one else steps forward. But I have no
> > programming experience so I doubt I am much qualified for such a thing.

> I was just about to step up too :).  I am not sure if I am qualified either,
> since I am not familiar with the internals of bootloading, but I am quite
> familiar with packaging things for Debian, so I might be slightly more
> qualified.  I still think the permanent maintainer for grub should be more
> competent, but I believe I can certainly do the initial packaging.

> Tiger, let me know if you still want the package...

There is a little programming to be done. :(

The install program that comes with the Linux patches could use some
more features. Currently, it looks like a Q&D program that takes the
location of the two stages and writes the boot block onto whatever
partition stage2 is on, only groking hda? and sda?.

I'm also willing to do the package...  (I'm actually using the thing
on one of my Debian systems - which can't boot bzimages without it.)

I can do a package of the existing code within a day or so.  (This
will help if we ever add Intel mklinux or HURD support to Debian.)

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu