Re: Boot Linux from GRUB? (Was: Boot HURD with lilo?)

Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org> writes:

>     Bruce> Someone please package the darned thing.

> I don't think GRUB is in a very advanced state.

> I couldn't get it to compile; the assembler bits bombed out with:

> /tmp/cca00729.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/cca00729.s:800: Error: register does not match opcode suffix
> make[1]: *** [asm.o] Error 1

> >From their web site (http://www.uruk.org/~erich/grub/) -- which hasn't
> been updated since October of 1996, I couldn't get any more info.

> I think it's dead, Jim.

I get no error when I compile it with the Linux patches added.  (The
Linux patches add a installer program, bzimage support, and the
ability to compile cleanly.)

I did a "make clean;make" and the result boot on my laptop.  (It's a
recent hamm system.)

See:  http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~kraxel/linux/grub.diff

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu