Re: social contract

Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> Now I hear sysvinit is also being kept private.

I find this hard to belive, since Miquel van Smoorenburg is the author of
sysvinit and also happens to be the debian developer in charge of it for
debian. And the upstream sysvinit package happens to build into the debian
package with absolutely no modifications, in fact.

> Is it really that hard to upload to sunsite.unc.edu and
> tsx-11.mit.edu in standard .tar.gz format?

Not hard at all. We do that. Take a look:

joey@kite:/tmp>ftp sunsite.unc.edu
ftp> cd /pub/Linux/distributions/debian/dists/stable/main/source/base
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls sysvinit*
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
-r--r--r--   1 67       1002          503 May 14  1997 sysvinit_2.71-2.dsc
-r--r--r--   1 67       1002        96495 May 14  1997 sysvinit_2.71-2.tar.gz
226 Transfer complete.

You will find all of debian's sources on sunsite, in readily available
.tar.gz form, or as standard diff's if we needed to make patches.

--
see shy jo