Re: Intent to package: eggdrop

On 17 Nov 1997, James Troup wrote:

> Johnie Ingram <johnie@netgod.net> writes:
>
> > "Eggdrop is the most advanced IRC robot available.  It has been
> > under development since December 1993, and, unlike most other bots,
> > it is still regularly updated..."
> >
> > Though this software has been used online for months to assist the
> > Debian developers on irc.debian.org, I suspect there may be some
> > argument that IRC robots are inherently "evil", and unsuitable for
> > packaging.
>
> I have never claimed that IRC robots are evil[1], inherently or
> otherwise, however I have and will continue to claim that packaging
> IRC robots so that *anyone* can run one is evil.  I know some 12 year
> olds who desperately want to run a bot but who can't, thankfully,
> compile eggdrop.  They probably could manage dpkg -i or using dselect
> and basic (but certainly bad) configuration.  Bots are banned from the
> vast majority of servers for a good reason.  There are no pre-compiled
> binaries available on the official ftp sites for a good reason.
>
> Yes, eggdrops can do good things (though choosing your own bot in
> #debian is an extremely suspect choice IMHO), but that does not
> justify make prepackaged versions of it.
>
> [1] [Netgod: don't mix the two things, I think dpkg[the bot] is evil
> because of the lame stuff it does, I do not think all bots are evil (I

What do you think of the other 4 eggdrop bots then? |, User69, User70,
User71.  Without them, there would be no botnet for undernet, linpeople,
efnet and eunet.  Some people on IRC don't like switching nets just for
help in Debian.  they can come to #debian on those nets and get the same
help they would get by going right to irc.debian.org.

> run a couple).  I do, however, think prepackaged binaries of eggdop
> are evil]
>
> --
> James
>

> --

Chad D. Zimmerman				    chad@dabcc-www.nmsu.edu
Southwest Technology Development Institute
New Mexico State University
---
HP: http://dabcc-www.nmsu.edu/~chad/
DBP: http://dabcc-www.nmsu.edu/~chad/Debian/