Re: non-DFSG section and CD distributers

Adrian Bridgett <adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk> writes:

> In the process I came to the conclusion that "non-free" is a
> misleading term - maybe it should be renamed "non-dfsg". A fair
> number of packages in there are free, just not as "free" as we would
> like them to be. I'll probably get flamed by lots of GPL people, but
> I don't have a problem with someone who wants to protect their hard
> work.

I definitely disagree, and for pragmatic reasons.  We should try to
keep things as simple as possible.  Hiding stuff behind an acronym is
not a good idea.  Anyone making a CD-ROM that includes Debian
(especially lazy CD-ROM manufacturers) will know that the packages in
"non-free" are potentially dangerous to include on their CD (due to
"patents or other legal issues that make their distribution
problematic") and should be handled individually.  They should not be
required to read more; the name should say it all.  A more ambiguous
name like "non-dfsg" could lead to problems.  Anyone who can't
appreciate this should find out what happened to the "Debian 1.0"
release.

On a more general note, I can't understand why some people on this
list view the non-free section as some sort of leper colony for
software.  If you ignore the personal opinions of some of the more
outspoken and idealistic members of the Debian community, you will see
that Debian as an organization is not hostile towards software that
does not meet its free software guidelines.  Indeed, it is my opinion
that Debian takes an attitude that can be described somewhere between
neutral and downright friendly.  After all, we do package and support
this software, do we not?

As for those who are complaining because their pet application has
been placed in the non-free "leper colony," I have but one bit of
advice: grow up!  No, Debian does not have the right to dictate what
is and is not "free" to the rest of the world; however, it has not
been so presumptuous.  We have merely stated where we draw the line,
and we adhere to our standards.  I believe that this consistency is
more important than worrying about treading on the feelings of some
poor user who feels that his favorite program has been unfairly (in
his opinion) relegated to the second-class status of non-freedom.

Brian