Re: non-DFSG section and CD distributers

On Thu, Nov 13, 1997 at 03:30:26PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"Adrian" == Adrian Bridgett <adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk> writes:
>
> Adrian> In the process I came to the conclusion that "non-free" is a
> Adrian> misleading term maybe it should be renamed "non-dfsg". A fair
> Adrian> number of packages in there are free, just not as "free" as we
> Adrian> would like them to be. I'll probably get flamed by lots of GPL
> Adrian> people, but I don't have a problem with someone who wants to
> Adrian> protect their hard work.
>
> 	How is it misleading? As far as Debian is concerned, non-dfsg
>  and non-free are synonyms. As we define it, packages that fail the
>  DFSG are not free.

It's misleading in that it implies that you may have to pay for them -
people may think they are non free *money-wise* rather than what Debian means
which is that they are non-free *distribution-wise*.

> 	By the way, I am not a GPL person. One may belittle by
>  disparaging labels, but remember, you _are_ running an OS crafted and
>  given to you free by a host of GPL people.
>
> 	GPL persons. Faugh.

I truely appreciate the significance of all three parts of Debian GNU
Linux. However I also prefer Netscape to lynx...

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | Because bloated, unstable
PGP key available on public key servers  | operating systems are from MS