Re: GLIBC 2.0.5c changes...

On Fri, Nov 14, 1997 at 08:40:55AM -0500, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
> > What happened to the package `kernel-headers'?
>
> Still exists, best I know.  It's basically obsolete, though.

I took a look at the kernel-headers packages, which didn't exist in
the current form when libc5-dev was originally changed to include it's
own headers.  I think we may be able to use them for glibc rather than
duplicating the files in libc6-dev.  This won't happen though until
the 2.0.32 kernel is officially released.  Furthermore, libc6-dev will
still only use the headers from a specific kernel.  For example,
/usr/include/asm would point to
/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.0.32/include/asm and not
/usr/src/linux/include/asm.

> I've cc:'d David on this, BTW, since he's taking back over glibc for
> the interim at least (thanks, David, for volunteering before I did).

If you really want it, I won't stand in your way. :)

> I suspect he doesn't want to go over this yet again, but I feel I
> should at least give him a chance. :-)

All I will add is that the goal is to provide a rock-solid, stable
compilation environment for libc.  Although glibc has improved things
over libc5, the best way to achieve this goal is still to only use
headers from a specific, known-good, kernel.  For those that want to
dispute this, then tell me why glibc 2.0.6 won't compile without
errors for the alpha with stock kernels prior to 2.0.32 or 2.1.63.

> When David and I were working on the first couple of iterations of the
> glibc package, we made patches to some of the kernel headers that
> dealt with some conflicts between glibc and the kernel headers
> (something that we couldn't do without having the kernel headers in
> the glibc package, BTW), and those seem to have been removed.

Yep.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road