Re: Electrical Engineering / IC design packages

On Sat, 08 Nov 1997 14:18:37 +1100 Hamish Moffatt (hamish@debian.org)
wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 07, 1997 at 08:04:27PM +0100, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > I found Prospective Packages for Debian GNU/Linux at
> > 	http://www.de.debian.org/doc/prospective-packages.html
> > where several not yet debianised (but desired) packages were listed.
> >
> > IC design is an area where unix is important and where for a tremendous
> > amount of tools source code is available (although most of the
> > commercial one are only available as binary for commercial unixes). I do
> > not know any distribution (even for commercial systems), which has many
> > of these free packages included.
>
> I am certainly interested in these packages
> and especially in seeing debian packages made
> available of them. I will try to look at doing some more packages
> over the few months of holidays I am starting in two weeks time.

I have made a spice package for local use and am ready to put into incoming.
However, the copyright policy is unclear.
The spice distribution contains no copyright file.
I have asked UCB about which copyright should be applied and they told me
to look at:
  http://hera.eecs.berkeley.edu/~software/software.agree.html

However this license has quite a few problems, notably that one cannot
charge for the software, but you might charge for modifications of the
software. You must also sign some papers.
The not-charging issue means that this could go into non-free. Or you could
twist the license saying you're making a license for the four-liner patch I
made to have it compile, that that anyone can charge anything for this patch
(allowing it to go into main).
BUT the paper-signing issue means it cannot go into the debian distribution
at all (as far as I remember, this was the problem with gated).

I've emailed UCB about these problems, but they never cared to reply.

Phil.