group for mouse device ?

as far as i know, you can cause trouble with writing to mouse device.
(at least writing to my /dev/ttyS1 can freeze X11 - without a serial
 terminal a reboot is required).

my first attemp was to make all mouse device only writeable by root
(mode 660, owner root.sys (why are we using "sys" ?)).
but serial devices are not affected : they are uucp.dialout 660
because normal way to use them are modems.

but now i was told, that some games use mouse devices (e.g. squake).
i thought these games run as root (so they can access the vga card) ?
or do they drop the root uid before opening mouse device ?

x11 and gpm run as root, so they are not affected by the permissions.

andreas
--
Find out how to avoid all those pesky crashes, lockups, application
errors, and slow applications at http://www.debian.org -- Debian can