'dpkg -iGROEB .../bo-updates' ??? (was: How is the ftp being run?)

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Branden Robinson wrote:

> Alternatively, some dpkg command line magic that does the following would
> be fine:
>
> cd .../bo-updates
> foreach package-in-this-directory
>   if package-installed && newer-version-here
>     dpkg -i this-version-right-here
>
> Currently I do this by hand, stripping out the package name with cut and
> generally going to too much effort.

i think that 'dpkg -iGROEB .../bo-updates' will do what you want.  These
are the options that dselect runs dpkg with to do an upgrade.

those options are:

    -i install
    -G don't install package if newer version already installed
    -R recursive  (probably not needed for .../bo-updates)
    -O selected packages only
    -E skip same version
    -B auto-deconfigure (i.e. remove any conflicting packages)

*** WARNING *** DANGER *** WARNING ***

I have NOT tried the above.  Use at your own risk.  I think it will work
but am nowhere near certain.  If I am wrong then there is the potential to
do extremely bad things to your system.  I wouldn't run it on my system
unless Ian Jackson said it would work and even then i'd probably still
just install each package individually with 'dpkg -i'.

Read the man pages and other documentation before attempting this.  Or
wait for Ian J or Klee to confirm/deny that this will work.

*** WARNING *** DANGER *** WARNING ***

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract