Re: bashims in debian/rules

> SHELL= `which bash`

Umm, developer's aesthetic judgement: "ewwww."  At *least* you should
be using  :=  except that using "which" is almost always wrong [though
it works on linux, BSDish systems like SunOS have a "which" that tries
to run your .cshrc explicitly, and for a variety of reasons, do it
wrong...]

If you want the path search, SHELL=bash is fine.  However, I don't see
the need for it -- simply noting that {,} should be avoided is
probably enough.

However, I don't think it's all that helpful to get rid of *posix*
features like $(); if a system doesn't have a POSIX sh, the
postinst/postrm aren't going to work either, and if it's a
cross-build, then it's up to the developer on that system to handle it
(by running make -f debian/rules SHELL=realsh, or whatever) along with
all the *other* creative things they'll be doing :-)