Re: bashims in debian/rules

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> Umm, developer's aesthetic judgement: "ewwww."  At *least* you
> should be using := except that using "which" is almost always wrong
> [though it works on linux, BSDish systems like SunOS have a "which"
> that tries to run your .cshrc explicitly, and for a variety of
> reasons, do it wrong...]

Okay, sorry, I take it back.  It was an off-the-cuff suggestion to get
away from hard-coded paths.  I just hate them, I'm guess I'm biased
because I'm forced to use a system like this:

14:25:43@dcsun4| ~ $type bash; type perl
bash is /opt/computing/bin/bash
perl is /opt/computing/bin/perl
14:31:34@dcsun4| ~ $sh
$echo $(whoami)
syntax error: `(' unexpected
$

and I didn't know about SHELL=bash (though I can't get it to work).

> However, I don't see the need for it -- simply noting that {,}
> should be avoided is probably enough.

*sigh*, this is probably what I'll do, I don't want to insist bash be
used for my debian/rules files when at least 3 other shells will do.

--
James