package placement question

As I see it, when packaging a library you normally put the packages
in the following sections:
   mesa2g           libs
   mesa2g-dev       devel
   mesa-doc         graphics (or whatever section is appropriate)
   mesa2            oldlibs
   mesa-altdev      oldlibs (devel?)

Is this reasonable? Something about package sections should be
included in the policy manual (my apologies if it's in there and
I missed it). It is annoying to have to consult the Packages to
find a package because there are so many ideas about where they
should go.

- Jay