Re: mentors for new maintainers

Igor Grobman wrote:

> The idea of "mentors" who would help new maintainers to get
> acquainted with the project.
>
> This will eliminate most of the "newbie" questions on debian-devel.
> It also allows the newbie maintainer to ask the "stupid" questions
> without being afraid to waste the bandwidth on a public list.

The idea seems good, IMO.
But, given the open nature of Debian, wouldn't this goal be achieved
better creating a mailing list new-maintainers@lists.debian.org where
all developers that have time can contribute to help questions from new
maintainers, without annoying the others (who have less time and want to
focus on development)?

IMHO this would be a simpler way to achieve the goal (which is to help
new maintainers, and also to promote them to ask even faq questions,
without the fear of being rtfm-ed, instead of waiting to learn from bugs
received :-)

A place where a new-maintainer can feel supported, where instead I see
that debian-devel badly accepts those recurrent threads.

Fabrizio