Re: GNOME

'Jim Pick wrote:'

>Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi> writes:
>> On Mon, Oct 20, 1997 at 06:16:00PM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
>>
>> > Are we packaging GNOME and the various components needed to run it?
>>
>> I think that someone said he'd do it, but I'm not sure...
>> If no-one is already packaging, it I'll start doing it now.
>
>I've actually started some work on it (didn't get too far though).
>
>The gnome binary distribution (install it into /opt) runs fine on my machine.
>It's really cool.
>
>Gnome has all sorts of bits, so there is lots of work to spread around.
>
>I asked Klee if I could take over the guile package (it needs to be updated
>from 1.0 to 1.2) and have it compiling - but I need to rework the
>packaging somewhat.
>
>I made non-maintainer packages of xlockmore and libgtk1 (the README for
>Gnome says it needs them).  I actually had to build libgtk1 from the
>sources at cvs.gnome.org, since apparently it uses a newer version of
>gtk than has been released yet.  Unfortunately, gtk is changing so fast
>it is almost impossible to keep them in sync.  The gtk I packaged will
>not work with the gimp in unstable, for example.

This is a big problem.  If the upstream doesn't provide soname
versioning that indicates compatibility we will have a nightmare on
our hands.  Each incompatible version of the library MUST have a
unique soname and it MUST be coordinated upstream.  I recommend we
don't release any libgtk1's that are incompatible with any released
software until the upstream gets its act together.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                   |  Design Science Revolutionary