Re: GNOME

Chris Fearnley <cjf@netaxs.com> writes:
> >Unfortunately, gtk is changing so fast
> >it is almost impossible to keep them in sync.  The gtk I packaged will
> >not work with the gimp in unstable, for example.
>
> This is a big problem.  If the upstream doesn't provide soname
> versioning that indicates compatibility we will have a nightmare on
> our hands.  Each incompatible version of the library MUST have a
> unique soname and it MUST be coordinated upstream.  I recommend we
> don't release any libgtk1's that are incompatible with any released
> software until the upstream gets its act together.

The real problem is that the gimp and the gtk (and gnome, of course)
are pre-release software.  The final release is probably going to
happen around January.

I like having the gimp package even though it is unreleased and is
likely to break.  I really appreciate the effort Ben has put in trying
to keep this moving targets up-to-date and useable for unstable.  It
does make it really difficult for other developers to keep their
packages that use libgtk in sync, of course.

These packages should not be introduced into stable if we happen to
release unstable before the Gimp and gtk are released -- because
upwards compatibility will likely not be preserved.

Cheers,

 - Jim