Re: GNOME

Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 20, 1997 at 06:16:00PM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
> > Are we packaging GNOME and the various components needed to run it?
>
> I think that someone said he'd do it, but I'm not sure...
> If no-one is already packaging, it I'll start doing it now.

I've actually started some work on it (didn't get too far though).

The gnome binary distribution (install it into /opt) runs fine on my machine.
It's really cool.

Gnome has all sorts of bits, so there is lots of work to spread around.

I asked Klee if I could take over the guile package (it needs to be updated
from 1.0 to 1.2) and have it compiling - but I need to rework the
packaging somewhat.

I made non-maintainer packages of xlockmore and libgtk1 (the README for
Gnome says it needs them).  I actually had to build libgtk1 from the
sources at cvs.gnome.org, since apparently it uses a newer version of
gtk than has been released yet.  Unfortunately, gtk is changing so fast
it is almost impossible to keep them in sync.  The gtk I packaged will
not work with the gimp in unstable, for example.

I didn't really get started on guile-gtk and the gnome distribution
proper.  Maybe if you want to work on those, I could put up the work
I've done so far.  I am planning on uploading guile 1.2 fairly soon
anyways.

It's moving really quickly right now (ie. gnome 0.8 uses guile-gtk 0.3
-- but guile-gtk has moved to version 0.7 already).  So it will be
very difficult building packages that work for more than a week given
the rapidity in which the underlying libraries and interpreters are
changing..

Even so, I think it is worth doing.  Right now, most of what they have
done looks like a complete knock-off of KDE.  But it is really cool if
you look at the source code for the apps written using the guile-gtk
interface.  For example, the network-utilities applet (by Miguel de Icaza
and Federico Mena) is just 406 lines of very readable and easy to
understand scheme code.  Pretty amazing.

The panel program has a menu system which I think is almost identical to
what KDE uses (same config files, layout, etc).  So maybe we could use
some of the work being done to integrate the Debian menu system into
KDE in the Gnome stuff also.

Well, that's it.  I hope this message turns out.  It's my first attempt
at posting something using Gnus (after using exmh all this time).

Cheers,

 - Jim