Re: Forwarded: RFC: New source packaging format

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:
> Without arguing any more, I think it's fair to say that I'd want to
> look really hard at some alternatives before the project chooses a
> source package format. I'd be listening to Ian Jackson's opinion,
> since Ian is the author of dpkg and now has time for the project again.
> I'd give a lot of weight to Klee's opinion too, especially since Klee has
> been working on this problem for a while and has his own design to talk
> about.

I'm not asking for the project to adopt the source format yet.  I just
want some technical feedback on whether or not it is a good design.
(By the way, the letters "RFC" stand for Request For Comments)

I'm interested in Klee's design too, but I've been waiting for close
to a year for it.  I hope he's not trying to implement it before he
asks for comments.

Funny that there has been so much negative reaction -- and nobody has
even bothered to download the samples I put up yet.  Most of the debate
so far has just been a knee-jerk reaction to somebody trying to shake
up the status quo.  I'm quite disappointed in the level of technical
debate.  But I guess that's to be expected - technical debate is much
more boring than politics and taking sides.

> My personal opinion is that we need something that builds on the work
> that has already gone into dpkg-source. Build a single file containing
> all of the separate files of the dpkg-source packages. Make it unnecessary
> to rename the original source file. Add to that binary dependencies. You'd
> have all I think is necessary.

You obviously like dpkg-source.  I, on the other hand, hate it.

I've wasted several useless days wrestling with it while I've been a
developer.  Do you want to take over the JDK package?  You'll quickly
learn how fun dpkg-source really is.  Also, you might want to try
unpacking some dpkg-source files at random from the archive.  It's
pretty easy to make a source package that won't unpack.  You can
blame the developers, but dpkg-source is the real problem.

Try adding a binary file (ie. a jpeg) to a Debian package - you'll
find you need to uuencode it for dpkg-source to take it.  Not to mention
the fact that dpkg-source on bo can't unpack source files from hamm
(because of a problem with patch).

I can't see how slapping a couple more layers of hacky code onto it is
going to make it any better.  It's just a bad design.  I personally
find it much more embarrassing than dselect, because it shows that we
are lacking technically at our core.  And you want to perpetuate it?

My argument is that we don't need to enhance dpkg-source at all.  Just
throw it in the garbage.  All that functionality (and more) already exists
in dpkg and the .deb file format.  Including dependencies. (calling 'em
source dependencies is just a red-herring)

Oh yeah, you're going to get a rough ride from me if you want a file
format with all the source (upstream and debian) in a single source
archive.  If that happens, everytime somebody changes a description
or a debian/rules file, the entire source package will have to be
re-downloaded.  I'd estimate that would probably triple or quadruple
the time it takes me to mirror the Debian sources (I've only got a
28.8 net connection).  Red Hat does that - but it is a bad design.

PLEASE, somebody download my demo and really try it out!  I'm pleading
with you guys.  I'm sure there are lots of things that could be improved.
I didn't really like some of the names I came up with for the
variables - maybe somebody's got some better ideas.  Maybe somebody
could come up with a competing proposal (not just talk).

I want some real feedback, not uninformed opinion.

(Sorry, Bruce.)

Cheers,

 - Jim