Re: Forwarded: RFC: New source packaging format

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens)  wrote on 22.10.97 in <[🔎] m0xOH42-00IS0dC@golem.pixar.com>:

> I accept your point that downloading diffs is more economical than
> downloading a monolithic source package. However, we have had many
> requests for a single-file source package, and such a thing could easily
> be extracted into diffs and source just as we have today.

Well, there's a simple cheat available for this:

Use a properly configured wu-ftpd.

Put the .tar.gz and the .diff.gz in a directory.

Request directory.tar.gz from the server.

Even works with all the popular web browsers (actually, with anything that
can do ftp).

MfG Kai