Re: User-contrib, up-to-date stable

On Wed, Oct 22, 1997 at 11:52:00PM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> No. Go back and read my message Note that I said "special directory for
> people who want that stuff". I was thinking of something like
> project/experimental, a run-at-your-own-risk sort of thing. As long as
> the possibility to revert to the stable packages exists, I do not see a
> problem with that.

So why don't we just create this directory? There have been requests for
something like this for months now, but I still don't see a suitable
directory for libc5-versions of hamm-packages on ftp.debian.org. And no,
neither project/experimental nor bo-updates are suitable for these
packages, IMHO.

> There are obvious advantages to doing something like that in the project
> rather than outside of it.

I couldn't agree more, but if the project does nothing about the issue
(besides from discussing it to death), it's no surprise that third parties
start to offer their own run-at-your-own-risk-packages.

Martin
--
/* Martin Buck                      E-Mail: martin-2.buck@student.uni-ulm.de */
/* Student of electrical engineering   WWW: http://www.uni-ulm.de/~s_mbuck1/ */