Re: User-contrib, up-to-date stable

From: Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com>
> You are missing the fact that Debian only has two distributions
> stable and unstable.

Please rest assured that I understand that.

> Paul wants something in-between.  There is a need for that.
> You want him to become a developer, and upload updated packages to
> stable.

No. Go back and read my message Note that I said "special directory for
people who want that stuff". I was thinking of something like
project/experimental, a run-at-your-own-risk sort of thing. As long as
the possibility to revert to the stable packages exists, I do not see a
problem with that.

> It's not really fair to attack Paul in this manner if you are
> not also willing to change the way Debian operates and organize
> a third in-between distribution.

I do not see that an entire third distribution is necessary. Only a directory
for bleeding edge packages that are built on top of the stable distribution
would be needed. I suggested that in my previous message.

There are obvious advantages to doing something like that in the project
rather than outside of it.

	Bruce
--
Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html