Re: User-contrib, up-to-date stable

harpo@udel.edu (Will Lowe) writes:

> On 23 Oct 1997, Paul Seelig wrote:
>
> > I think it is a bad idea to have a directory "anybody can stuff
> > packages into" without a certain control.  Possible contributors
> > should only be allowed to upload into an "incoming" directory and they
> > really should have to identify themselves to some maintainer in charge
> > of unofficial packages sending a mail telling him about the upload so
> > that the package can be evaluated for a move to "user-contrib".
> > Surely someone has to take care of this process.
>
> But this is what we have now!  A directory that people who have identified
> themselves to a central authority can upload into,  and the a maintainer
> who takes care of putting them in the right place.

Well it differs actually in regard of the fact that the current
wonderfully functioning setup is targeted only towards the two main
sections 'bo-updates' and 'unstable'.  There is nothing so far which
applies to a still not existing 'user-contrib' section (or whatever
you'd like to call it).
                              Thank you, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de