Re: User-contrib, up-to-date stable

dwarf@polaris.net (Dale Scheetz) writes:

> Paul asked that I return our private conversation to the list.
>
> On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Paul Seelig wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> >
> > > One thing that might help would be an "identifier" in the package name
> > > that would "indicate" who the actual packager was. Something like a two
> > > character code that could be looked up in the README file. This would let
> > > various folks "develop" reputations and provide a filter for folks that
> > > don't want a package from "Fred".
> > >
> > That's actually a pretty good idea.  I myself even think that
> > "$SOURCE/debian/changelog"  should definitely state that the package
> > in question is a non maintainer or unofficially contributed package to
> > have a possibility to distinguish between official and non official
> > packages. This way the state of the package in question could easily
> > be reflected in the $PACKAGE.dsc and $PACKAGE.changes files.
> > Bugreports should be sent directly to the unoffical packager. If a
> > package seems to cause more trouble than benefits (based on user
> > feedback) it should be instantly removed from the user-contrib site.
> >
> > > I might also suggest that the site contain a current copy of the
> > > Debian Policy Manual, so that prospective submitters can check to
> > > see that their packages will conform to the Debian system that they
> > > are installed onto.
> > >
> > Unofficial packages which don't conform to Debian policy at least up
> > to a certain acceptable degree shouldn't be provided to the public.
> >
> One of those devilish details is how to enforce this on a directory that
> anyone can stuff packages into? Maintianers have access through their
> accounts (and are accountable because of this) and are known persons.

I think it is a bad idea to have a directory "anybody can stuff
packages into" without a certain control.  Possible contributors
should only be allowed to upload into an "incoming" directory and they
really should have to identify themselves to some maintainer in charge
of unofficial packages sending a mail telling him about the upload so
that the package can be evaluated for a move to "user-contrib".
Surely someone has to take care of this process.

I don't believe that there will be packages for everything and all
from 'unstable' but only a select few (or maybe even quite some?).  I
just can't imagine that 'unstable' would be completely duplicated or
that lots of completely new packages would come in.

                              Thank you, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   My Homepage in the WWW at the URL http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig