Re: User-contrib, up-to-date stable

Quoting David Welton (davidw@cks.com):
> 1.  Which packages are candidates?  I would prefer to leave 'central'
> packages alone, and upgrade more 'application' types of things.  Apache,
> msql, postgresql, and the gimp come to mind.

Definately some good choices.

> 2.  Should it be a full distribution?  I would like to be able to access
> it with dselect, but I can understand that it might not be up for too long
> (let us hope!), and that that might be a pain for people hosting ftp
> sites.

I think being able to use dselect on it is almost essential. It would
make updating an installation based on a cd almost transparent, which
would give debian a real leg up on the competition. (i.e., with debian
you don't have to go searching through a contrib directory, you can see
exactly what is available and exactly what is updated all on one
convenient screen--very simple.)

--
Michael Stone, Sysadmin, ITRI     PGP: key 1024/76556F95 from mit keyserver,
mstone@itri.loyola.edu            finger, or email with "Subject: get pgp key"