Re: A place for bo-compiled hamm-packages

Paul Seelig wrote:

> fpolacco@icenet.fi (Fabrizio Polacco) writes:
>
> > This is simply the request for a small (and temporary) place to put
> > packages present on hamm, but recompiled under bo (when possible,
> > obviously).
> >
> That's what i had in mind when i recently suggested the creation of a
> "user-contrib" section.  I'd like to see this as soon as possible.

I've seen your suggestion, and I have to say that I don't agree.
As others has already explained better than I could do, there are too
much "perils" in permitting unknown users to upload packages that other
users will install as root (I personally would also like to see dpkg
drop root privileges if some signature check doesn't match an "official"
one, when installing .deb).

Being a Debian "official" maintainer I feel my duty to "serve" users the
best I can, therefore I have started to compile man-db (but not groff:
no need) also under bo, have invented a versioning scheme that wouldn't
permit dpkg to consider a "bo-compiled" version a possible upgrade to a
"hamm-compiled" one, and I am uploading these packages into
project/experimental.
But I think that experimental has different purposes, and I would also
like to see better market the libc5 nature of these packages.
I suggested bo-untested, I could even suggest project/bo-unstable or
libc5-unstable.

But these should be "official" packages, simply recompiled under the
previous version of Debian, and not "user contributes".
Although it seems to have the same purpose, it's a completely different
thing.

Fabrizio