Use of configure with the gimp

Hi,

Because the gimp in stable is very outdated, I am having to recreate the
package by hand.

Dpkg-source does not work, failing with:
@heorot [/usr/src] #dpkg-source -x libgtk1_970925-3.dsc
dpkg-source: error: tarfile `./libgtk1_970925.orig.tar.gz' contains object
(gtk+970925/Makefile.in) not in expected directory (libgtk1-970925.orig)

Is this because of incompatibilities between dpkg versions?

So, I went to unpack everything manually.  In the course of doing this, I
noticed that apparently config was ran before Debianization of the
package.  Ie, that a Makefile is included in the diffs.  Is this a
'correct' thing to be doing?

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org