Re: What about a user-contrib directory?

rdm@test.legislate.com (Raul Miller) writes:

> Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.Uni-Mainz.de> wrote:
> > I personally do care and that's why i've have made some packages
> > available at "ftp://ietpd1.sowi.uni-mainz.de/pub/debian/unofficial/";.
> > These packages are targeted towards a stable and working libc5 based
> > Debian-1.3.1 system.  That's what i care for!
>
> Hmm...
>
> I wish that I'd known about this site sooner,

[...]
> Unfortunately, it doesn't go far enough, (I've got another machine which
> I'm still beating on, trying to get everything that was working under bo
> to work under hamm, but I wanted to install mutt, and the only version
> of mutt I could find was a hamm version -- there were other reasons
> (e.g. gimp), or I'd have been tempted to dig out the source to mutt and
> build it myself..  still, it's a pain).

Sometimes one can manage somehow to build libc5 packages for 'stable'
from sources available in 'unstable' but it can be difficult at times.
And it's a pity that there is still no official possibility to
download readily built libc5 packages made from 'hamm' sources.  This
would benefit lots of people who depend upon a stable production
machine but can't accept to not being able to install more up to date
software which properly fits in without further updating hassles.

                            Thank for your input, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   My Homepage in the WWW at the URL http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig