Re: What about a user-contrib directory?

The stuff in RedHat's contrib directory tends to be very hit or miss, about
50% of the small sample I've installed doesn't work right/at all.  I'd
imagine that has a lot to do with people not getting dependencies
right...(I.e. a tcl/tk thing that was uploaded for 4.1, and I tried to use
it with 4.2.)  Extrapolating from that I'd have to say it's a bad idea for
Debian to do this.

I would recommend renaming the contrib directory in Debian though.  I
originally assumed that it had the same function as RedHat's contrib
directory.  By that point I knew that RedHat contribs tended not to work,
and that installing them as root was a much bigger security problem then
istalling tgzs.  So, I avoided the Debian contrib directory completely.
Anyone have a suggestion for a better name for contrib?

Thanks
Sam

--
VA Research Linux Workstations |  VA Research Is Hiring...
http://www.varesearch.com      |  Tech support for Linux/Windows 95/NT