Re: No Debian/MIPS (was: More Linux/SGI status) (fwd)

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I don't think it's necessary to shed any tears about the MIPS port.
>
> Now that SGI has announced that they are switching from their own MIPS
> architecture to Intel, I don't expect to see too many more of those
> CPUs or systems running them. SGI wrote off what they spent to buy MIPS,
> and their stock is in the toilet.
>
> It would be really nice if we _could_ develop a MIPS port for Debian, but
> nobody can get their hands on a kernel! I hear SGI Octanes run OK, but
> do you know what an Octane costs? I have Octanes at work, they are
> _way_ to expensive and their hardware is flaky, too. We only have them
> because of the graphics engine, and better graphics engines are coming
> out on PCI bus cards from E&S, Diamond, etc.
>
> When I can get a kernel for my R3000 or my R4000 DECStations, I'll put
> them where people can work on them. For now, I see no point in
> cross-compiling when there's no hardware.

What you are saying here is complete nonsense. There is lots of MIPS
hardware around and not all of them are expensive high end SGI machines.

There were for example the Olivetti M700´s that could buy for a handful of
$$$ and which have been supported for a long time.

I´ve been closely monitoring the MIPS port from its very first day
and know how many people are using Linux/MIPS on various machines.
There is lots of commercial interest behind the MIPS port, and not only
from SGI. So don´t come and tell me this stupid and wrong argument that
nobody can get a kernel.

Mike

PS: SGI did not announce that they would SWITCH to Intel CPUs, they just
announced that they would ALSO offer machines with Intel CPUs.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.  But I have promises to keep,
And lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."