Re: Placement of console device for `virtual-dev' package

>	It shouldn't be removed from /etc/fstab (in fact, I think it
>shouldn't be written there).  It should be removed from /etc/mtab
>(there is where the system keeps track of the mounted filesystems).
>
>	I think that'll be the best solution; IMHO, ramdisks don't
>need to be unmounted.

I don't believe I should have my scripts mess around with mtab.
/etc/mtab is supposed to show which filesystems are mounted, and it's
used by programs like df and mount to generate reports about mounted
filesystems.  If /dev was removed from mtab, things (and sysadmins!)
would get very confused.

If it's not listed in /etc/fstab, though, umount -a will not attempt to
unmount it, but everything else should work as normal.  I prefer that
solution.  I'll even change the package eventually...

--Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>
PGP public keyprint: 74 68 AB 2E 1C 60 22 94  B8 21 2D 01 DE 66 13 E2