Re: MaintainerDatabase Copyright

Hi,
>>"Christian" == Christian Lynbech <lynbech@daimi.aau.dk> writes:

Christian> What concerns people: is it *really* copyright or is it
Christian> more relating to privacy?

	I thnk it is copyright. (mutablity of data in no way makes it
 more or less private, it just allows people to legally modify it). It
 is also about freedom, people are concerned about whether the report
 is DFSG conformant.

Christian> Now, if privacy is the concern (ie. keeping the location
Christian> from the general public), that should be addressed by the
Christian> rounding process. And if privacy is the heart of the
Christian> matter, the unprecise markers report could be distributed
Christian> without any further restrictions, because privacy is
Christian> ensured.

	Some people want the rounding to be to the nearest 360 degrees
 ;-). Even if you can't understand the reason for this desire for
 privacy (my wife's siblings don't understand why one would want to
 lock a house), one must respect oter peoples desire for it.

Christian> But I am having a hard time understanding how somebody
Christian> could be concerned about malicious modification of the
Christian> markers file. The list of maintainers are available by
Christian> other means, and one can relatively easily reproduce a
Christian> markers file yielding a similar appearance and thus
Christian> circumventing the copyright completely.

	Where would you put srivasta@acm.org? How would you know where
 I lived, unless it is from information I provide? The data is not
 easily derivable from other sources.

Christian> The idea is that public information is eaxctly that, and I
Christian> personally does not see a reason to copyright it in clever
Christian> ways, though a `use guideline' sounds like a good idea.

	manoj
--
 I was thinking of trademarking the lowercase letter l.  Then I could
 sue the number 1 for look and feel... Jonathan Kagle